The Province of British Columbia has recently indicated in their ‘BC Restart Plan’ that hotels, resorts, and overnight camping will be allowed to open again in June, 2020, with camping in provincial parks specifically slated to resume June 1st.
We are currently developing our COVID Safe Plan so we can reopen our eco resort and camping tours to guests in accordance with these delegations from our Federal and Provincial governments, as well as the direction of our local and provincial health authorities, as soon as safely possible after this date, which we will officially announce shortly.
Dates are set on our website and open for guests to book their summer Desolation Sound experiences for 2020.
From June 1st we will officially be open for overnight kayak rentals.
Updated Cancellation Policy for all tours and rentals with Powell River Sea Kayak and Cabana Desolation Eco Resort. Updated May 15th, 2020. We know you may have questions about the coronavirus (COVID-19) and what it means for you as a traveller. More information is coming out every day, and that can make this a confusing time to travel – as well as run a tourism business. We are doing our best to keep up-to-date with the latest information and we are following the lead from governments as well as our local and provincial tourism associations with how to best manage this crisis. To help ease concerns with regards to potential cancellations we have created a unique, temporary cancellation policy for anything pre-booked through our company. This is a difficult and stressful time for many of us and we thank our customers for their patience and kindness during this time.
As of May 15th, our cancellation policy for camping tours and eco resort packages for the 2020 season is thus: No Need to Cancel Early!
- In even the best circumstances, we are empathetic towards a customer’s need to cancel their trips with us, and we therefore have one of the most generous cancellation policies in the industry.
- A key feature of our cancellation policy includes the final 50% of the payment not being due until customers arrive for their tour, while most other companies require final payment months in advance. With this in mind, we are encouraging customers to hold off cancelling until they are certain their trip will not occur.
- To further help with this during the current uncertainty, we are extending our typical cancellation policy to 30 days from 60 days before the start of a tour. That is, customers will receive a full refund less the administration fee up to 30 days before their trip date. This will allow customers to hold off cancelling a trip for an extra 30 days without any further affect on their refund.
- In addition, Powell River Sea Kayak and Cabana Desolation Eco Resort will allow date-changes at any time before the 30 day period, without incurring any extra fees, for dates up to the end of 2021.
As of April 9th, our cancellation policy for kayak rentals for the 2020 season is thus:
- Should you cancel or change your reservation or part thereof within seven (7) days of the start date of your reservation, PRSK will refund your credit card to an amount totalling 50% of the full price of the cancelled item.
- Should you cancel your reservation or part thereof prior to seven (7) days before the start date of your reservation, PRSK will refund your credit card for the cancelled booking, less a $25 administration fee total.
If your tour or rental is within the 30 day or 7 day periods outlined above and you cannot participate due to government restrictions, you can switch to another date or be issued a booking code for a future rental, camping tour or Cabana package (must be used by end of 2021). How COVID-19 effects travel is unknown and rapidly changing. For this reason, we will continue to monitor government reports and update this policy as needed. Reservations made at a given time will have applied the current policy at that time, and notes will be made with their reservation to apply that particular policy in case this changes due to evolving circumstances. Not covered under this policy:
- This unique and temporary cancellation policy is strictly limited to official travel disruptions and does not cover personal beliefs, feelings, or concerns about traveling to and from Powell River.
- This policy only covers the amount paid to Powell River Sea Kayak Ltd. as per the customer’s invoice. Any non-refundable expenses occurred with third parties relating to the tour (for example, ferry reservations, non-refundable flights, etc) are the responsibility of the customer.
- Once a tour or rental has commenced, cancellations or early returns will be subject to our regular cancellation policy.
- Cancellations due to illness, whether COVID-19 or other (Powell River Sea Kayak Ltd. cannot be held responsible for people’s individual choices that may have led to their illness).
- General travel warnings (must be an official government restriction).
- In addition to your trip with us, if you are travelling for other reasons (eg: events) and this is cancelled, a refund for our trip will not be provided if you choose to cancel with us as well.
- All other considerations in our regular policy, such as inclement weather.
Please note: our operation does not begin until after mid-May (or slightly earlier for kayak rentals). Although we are hopeful risks surrounding COVID-19 will have subsided by that time, if risks do persist, we will be doing everything in our control to manage these risks within our own company by following the “being prepared” information on the government of Canada website. As with all our trips, in addition to COVID-19, we suggest guests consider trip cancellation insurance. In particular, some credit cards have this built into their platform, with coverage automatic when paying with that particular card. If you wish to switch a currently booked tour or eco resort package to a new date we have posted our tours and Cabana Desolation package dates for 2021 on our regular booking page. Simply click through here to our camping tours reservations page or here for Cabana Desolation Eco Resort and use the calendar to select a date in the future! Note that once current restrictions are lifted we will revert back to our regular cancellation policy for all tours and rentals.